Tuesday, November 4, 2008

TUNA!!!

So here is what 300$00 (Cape Verdean Escudos), or about $4.20, can buy you in terms of tuna, assuming you know the guy who knows the guy that catches the fish. Pay no attention to how horrible I look - I was cleaning a fish! So what exactly is a girl to do with all this fish? Especially now that we're going to be getting a package like this once a week? First things first - ceviche! Ok, MAYBE it's not the greatest idea to eat fish raw, especially when it comes to you in a plastic grocery bag in the back of a truck, but isn't that what the lime is for? To cook it a little? Well, if I do get sick and die from some strange food poisoning, at least I will die with a happy grin on my face. Plus its a great way to use the butt end of the tuna and still save the middle for steaks! My ceviche recipe:

4 limes, squeezed
1/2 an onion, diced
1/4 c olive oil
2 hot peppers, diced
salt and pepper
- combine well, add about a cup of fresh tuna, cut up in a mish mash of sizes and shapes, stick in the fridge for about 20 min, gobble up, repeat.










3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous!! The spices are on the way.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

Unknown said...

I researched ceviche recipes for Dinners of the World. If you can get your hands on oranges (blood oranges ROCK) throw in some orange juice. I bet any citrus would add a nice flavor. Ecuador claims to have invented ceviche... they use popcorn or corn nuts as a topping. I used plain old roasted corn nuts - it was surprisingly awesome. Try it with those giant corns you got from your friend!