Friday, November 28, 2008

On the job (Josh)

Ok so when dealing with computers around here things rarely come in small doses. What I’ve been spending most of my time with at work is slaying viruses. I have yet to find a computer that has come out completely clean and it’s not uncommon to find hundreds of infections. For those of you out there running one of the flavors of free anti-virus programs I strongly recommend Avira (http://www.free-av.com); it may even best your purchased anti-virus. I had one of those other programs and I might as well have had nothing at all, at least for the viruses that are most common around here. No anti-virus program is perfect but this one I’ve found to be one of the best, especially for free.

The next task that was handed to me just a few days ago is even bigger; really I can’t imagine it being much bigger. The Camara is building a big shinny new three story office building to consolidate all of the different offices they are working in now. They are currently in buildings scattered throughout Alto Peixene (an area like Armazem) with what seems to be rented space for all but the main building, which is a very nice old house with the best view in Porto Novo over looking the port; I’m going to miss that one. So, a few days ago they approached me with the schematics for the new place and asked if I could tell them what they needed for a network. That one took a little while to really sink in, but bottom line is that I get my own very large play area. Anything technological that you could imagine in an office building I get to recommend and help setup, from computers to servers to copy machines to projectors. What an opportunity!

Now before I get too excited, I still can’t see too far into the future as to when this will get to the implementation stage. They are still in the process of building the new building, though they seem to be on pace to finish within the next 6 – 7 months. You never know how long things are going to take around here. In addition to that they don’t have a budget yet for the equipment they’ll need. I have a hunch that they will be creating the budget from what I recommend. Should be a busy, fun and interesting next few months!

No comments: