(Don't eat me!!!)
On Monday there was a repeat performance in Das Patas, the next town after Lagedos up in the mountains. More mass, more food, more drinks, lots more dancing. We spent a lot of time taking pictures, cooking, serving food, cleaning up, arranging furniture and amusing the Cape Verdeans with our American dance skills. Another fantastic day.
(The most interesting Nativity Scene ever...)
Saturday (yes, we're skipping around in time) was the First Ever Porto Novo Christmas Fair. Similar to the fair in Lagedos, this was held in the praca right near our house, which was pretty cool. Lots of music and dancing again, plus some guy brought his sugar cane "juicer" and people could juice their own cane. We put the pictures on line here:
(We'll have a video up soon, but we can't figure out how to edit it...hmm...)
On Christmas Eve we had a party at the Camara for all the employees. It was a nice break from all the running around and cooking and cleaning that happens around the holidays, plus they make pretty good pizza in Cape Verde (or maybe I'm just getting used to it) and they went all out for the office party. We stayed for a couple of hours then headed home to start cooking for our guests around 1 (we closed early that day).
(Josh and Vava, his counterpart)
Christmas Eve, our friend Cathryn from Mindelo, her sister, Megan from Port and Tiff from Ponta de Sol all came to stay at our place. I made pasta fagioli and pizza frita (from scratch, of course) and it was OMG delicious. Best fried dough ever. Seriously, don't ever used store bought dough to make fried dough again; just take the time and do it yourself, it's worth the effort. Everyone enjoyed the food, although we had enough left over to feed the rest of Port I think (which was good, we had it for lunch the next day). We watched some movies before bed and then turned in around midnight, at which point our friend Nany from up the road came to our window and started whistling for us to come walk around with him. Apparently stuff starts happening around midnight on Christmas Eve and everyone hangs out in the street. We were exhausted though and had to pass.
On Christmas morning I made muffins and we pigged out again, then opened gifts. We each got each other a small gift, under 200$ or about $2.20 USD. I got lipgloss, a bracelet, some hair clips and a juicer; Josh got a bracelet, a pen, a really nice wallet (NOT under 200$ and from the States, but that was Megans doing) and some foot stuff for his awful stinky feet. We ate more pasta fagioli then went for a walk on the beach (it was about 83 out) and came back for some homemade hummus and pita bread - yes, I made pita bread, and it rocked. We watched Love, Actually and had dinner around 8 (we were too stuffed from the hummus to eat earlier). I made blackened Amberjack (fish), baked BBQ chicken, garlic smashed potatoes, sauteed kale, squash pie, stuffing, corn bread and baked beans. Everything was delicious. We were all so stuffed we couldn't even eat all the cookies I'd made for dessert.
So here are the Christmas Day photos:
And here is the video I promised:
Saturday we went hiking...but that's another blog!
Ti logu,
Dove (and Josh)
1 comment:
MERRY CHRISTMAS Dove and Josh ! Wonderful pictures and I especially liked the pics of Tarafal, snorkling and beaches, I'm in :) how much is plane fare again ?
Luv you both. Dove you want to read War and Peace ? I have it in my basement somewhere. I'll find some of those books you had listed on your wishlist on amazon. I may have the paperbacks here somewhere.
Luv and hugs.
Michael
Post a Comment