...and no time to do it!
So in the past week or so, weºve been crazy busy. We spent a weekend with another volunteer for our ´demystification´ie seeing what volunteers live like, which was great. We made pizza, french toast with banannas, guacamole, questidillas, ate at the market and had a few drinks with other visiting volunteers, which led to a great discussion about development theory. Iºve missed that. It was interesting to see how well a lot of volunteers live...not that they have a lot of stuff, or that they have any nice stuff, but the places they rent for us are pretty decent and large. Josh and I will have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and canºt wait to see it finally! Oh, and Laurenºs mom, I finally got to meet her on our visit to Praia, and just ran into her on the street on the way to language class. Yay! Thanks for ´stalking´me :o)
What else...itºs gone by so fast lately I couldnºt even say. We had our second LPI yesterday and will get the results tomorrow. We finished our portfolios. We had our Dia di Jovem, which was a smashing success. The youth painted the school and the kamara donated the paint. I made 13 hoops for the kids of Mancholi (btw if you are looking for gifts to send me, the connectors for hoops and more electrical tape would be great! There is a website that has it for cheaper than home depot and has better colors. Iºll post my new address when we get there). We visited PC Headquarters, our LCFs house and the Embassy in Praia which was fun.
Swearing in is Saturday and we leave right after for Praia. Sunday we fly to Mindelo, spend the night, and Monday morning itºs off to Porto Nove! Weºre nervous but excited, especially about having our own place, being able to stay out past 8pm, and getting to sleep in the same bed again. Of course northern Kriolu is different than southern, so thatºs a concern, but weºll get through it. Hopefully?
Itºs been a total whirlwind of activities and I have more to say but no time to say it. I also have pics of our site placement which I need to post, pics of our youth day and pics of my family, but Iºll have to do that next time Iºm on line with some time. There are a lot, so itºll be on flickr.
Last but not least...is anyone out there? Iºve only gotten a handful of emails since Iºve been here and only one letter. Itºs a little sad when other volunteers are receiving letters from friends and family every week...this goes not just for my family, but for any other families reading this blog ~ send stuff! Okay, not now because weºre moving, but once we get to site, emails are great (so send more of those) but letters are better. Need something to decorate the walls with!
Outie 5000,
Dove
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
you know, i actually have been purposefully not sending you emails, because I figured that when you get your rare chances to get online that you don't really have much time for email :)
Just talked to Lauren before I read your new blog and she said she finally met you. I told her to look for you and Josh!
Sounds like you are excited to get onto your new home and I look forward to hearing all about it.
Ellie
hi freaks!
we're getting ready for pdf, we'll be missing you soooooo much--but camp sexy lives on. ;-0
congrats on your language skills! i love reading stuff about you two. it makes me want to update my passport.
oh, and... ummm... what rhiannon said. yeah, THAT'S why! i'm not a cheap,lazy bugger or anything.
much love and respect,
grrrrrregorrrrrrr
Honey bun, I don't know your address, I know I'm not seeing it somewhere in this blog but I will get it..... I LOVE reading your posts Dove (& Josh). You are both LOVED and Missed Dearly.
I'll be writing and sending the old fashioned way soon. Anthony says hi too and he is reading your blogs as well. He has been busy but as I thought you rarely got to the internet cafe to read your mail. I think we both thought you were miles from phones/internet etc.
So you need tape and connectors ? I can do that for you.
Love you both.
Michael.
Sounds like you are truly seeing Africa! Please let us know a place to send mail to when you settle somewhat!!!
Love,
Kate & Carm
From a current volunteer on the northern side Santo Antao. I would like to welcome you to Santo Antao. It is a beautiful place with grand mountains, greenist it has every been, and trees.
I heard that you are staying in Mancholy. That was my host family site, one year ago. Could you tell Helena, Magada, and Ana hi for me because I am muito ingrato. Thanks.
Rhonda (PCV)
Post a Comment