Two weeks in and training is great. We are starting the technical components and learning a lot about asset based approaches to development as well as small enterprise development - thank you Americorps VISTA for laying the groundwork for me in ABCD! It's proved to be an awesome tool and I think doing a year of VISTA before coming here was a great idea.
We're staring to put together our projects that we will complete before swearing in, and our group has some great ideas so far. I think we're going to do a youth festival since there is very little for kids to do in our town. Talent show anyone? Plus we´re talking about arranging a weekly play day for the kids where we can provide structured activities and hopefully work with the older youth so that they can continue after we leave. It's all about sustainability.
Yesterday we went to Tarrafal, which consisted of two parts: First, we visited a concentration camp that was opened by the Portuguese in the 1930's to house prisoners from Portugal as well as political prisoners who were fighting for freedom from Portugal in the 60's and 70's. Intense stuff. Of course, we followed it up with a trip to the beach...paradise. This side of the atlantic seems a lot bluer and a whole lot warmer, but it felt comforting to be in the same water as I was in back at home! Maybe Majik and family were in the water at the same time :o)
Tarrafal is gorgous. The beach was perfect and there were these cool black rocks deeper out that you could access from the beach and lounge on, or jump off of into the turqouise waters. Not being used to the salt, my skin was a little unhappy but who could complain. We bobbed up and down for hours and then played frisbee on the beach with the kids. I love this place. Especially the kids. Now if only I could remember everyone name...
And food...while the food at the beach didn't agree with me, the food at home (both Josh's and mine) is fantastic. Kudos to the Peace Corps for hooking me up with an amazing mom who can really mix it up in the kitchen. We have fish a lot, and rice every night, and then a main dish of maybe chicken and veggies, or just fried chicken (and french fries, mmmm), or sausage and veggies, and lots of beans. Those of you that actually know me know how many stomach problems I can have with certain foods...I have not been sick to my stomach ONCE since I got here (aside from the ver ocasional 'Big D' that is to be expected and we have all had regularly...I've had it probably the least of anyone!). Cape Verde is good to me. And while I love my family and life in Mancholy, I can't wait to see where we are going and meet my community and really get started with our projects.
Ti logu,
Dove
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Keep up the GREAT energy! It's super that you have loving and caring host families. That makes the experience even better. Thank you for sharing.
Big hugs and kisses,
Claudette and Ollie
xoxoxox
Wow, i'm humbled by all this and amazed. I love reading about your experiences as they happen, especially the beautiful pictures. It all sounds so inspiring and wonderful but I'm sure the work is tough and language barrier frustrating. Keep us in your thoughts and we miss you both awful, especially when the hoops come out. :( I have to get crackin and make more. Saw a collapsible one, Justins girlfriend moved here from Buffalo and brought it.
I would love the climate. What do they like to drink there ? Wine or Beer ? curious..... the food sounds good and I would wonder what you wash it all down with.
Love and Hugs..... michael
Keep on keeping on!
Still glad you guys are loving it, especially after such a trying couple weeks before leaving. I have meant to e-mail you.
I GOT INVITED!!!!!
I'll be going to El Salvador to do Youth Development!! Staging is September 14th, and we actually arrive in country for training on Sept 16th!
Post a Comment